The amazing Broken beach on Nusa Penida travel guide
The Broken beach on Nusa Penida is one of the best tourist spots on the island. If you’re visiting Nusa Penida then I would highly recommend putting this coastal spot on your itinerary. The stunning rock formation is sweet for epic photos and videos. You can do a 360 walk around the broken beach and check out the amazing scenery from all angles. You can also check out the stunning Angel’s Billabong and Kelingking secret point beach. Also check out the Ruma treehouse.
Nusa Penida is one of three islands next to the coast of mainland Bali. The other two island being Lembongan and ceningan. These Top islands in Bali are also next to the stunning Gili Islands. We actually did over a week on the Gili Islands after visiting Nusa Penida.
Check out the Best things to do in Nusa Penida
We spent 3 nights on Nusa Penida and visited the best spots on the island such as the Broken beach, Kelingking Beach, Angel’s billabong and more. I would recommend you stay on Nusa Penida for 2 or 3 nights. Or you could do the broken beach and Kelingking Beach private tour if you’re on a short holiday in Bali.
Now let’s check out what’s in this post for you;
- My visit to Broken beach and Kelingking beach
- How to get to the Broken Beach
- Visiting Angel’s Billabong and Nusa Penida
How to get to the broken beach
From Bali mainland you can ride a fast boat at Sanur Beach and cross the sea to Toyapakeh. Then finally reach the small island of Nusa Penida. From here you will meet your travel agent
So what will I see on the broken beach and Kelingking beach private tour on Nusa Penida’? You will visit the famous Kelingking Beach for the chance to take photos of the most amazing place to see on Nusa Penida, it’s my favourite beach in Bali. Check out the cliffs overlooking the Indian Ocean, and then continue to Pasih Uug (Broken Beach) and the natural pool of Angel’s Billabong.
Experience the less visited spots on Nusa Penida, Kelingking beach and broken beach will be very busy. Then you will make your way to the popular beach at Crystal Bay, known for its great diving and snorkeling. This place is a truly top thing to see on Nusa Penida.
Nusa Penida tour
- To be honest with you, the beach is not easy to travel to on Nusa Penida as the roads can be quite difficult. Depending where your Hotel is on Nusa Penida, you might find the beach easy to get to.
- The beach is located on the west side of Nusa Penida and there is not to many places to stay around here. So you will have to make your way there from either scooter or taxi.
- If you are hiring a scooter on Nusa Penida and making your own way to the broken beach. Then I would do if extreme precaution. The roads on Nusa Penida are not really developed, however this is a working progress. So I would only hire a scooter if you are confident on tricky roads. You can hire a scooter on Nusa Penida for $3 a day and it is a lot of fun. But just be aware the roads are crazy in places, especially near the beach.
- Once you arrive at the beach, there is parking available for less than $1. Also if you get hungry or thirst then there is a shop selling drinks and food for cheap. There is plenty of locals aswell selling fresh coconuts.
- Doing the private tour from Bali to Nusa Penida is a great way to see the best spots on Nusa Penida. If you only want to visit Nusa Penida for one day, then you can take a speed boat from Bali. This is the quickest way to see top spots like Kelingking Beach and broken beach on Nusa Penida.
- We initially looked at booking a one day tour to Nusa Penida. But we decided to stay for 3 nights to see everything what this amazing island had to offer. However, the speedboat tour from Bali to Nusa Penida is a very popular way of visiting Kelingking Beach and broken beach.
- The beach cliff that you walk around is high and can be dangerous. So just take your time when walking around. There are many photo opportunities and also stands selling food and fresh drinks. We took a towel and did some sun bathing on the Nusa Penida coastline next to the broken beach.
Broken beach entrance fee
There is no fee to enter the beach on your arrival. Which is always sweet.
However, there is a cost for parking on the car-park. You will only have to pay around (50 Baht) to park. Not much at all.
There is plenty of parking available for scooters and cars.
The best thing there is the market stalls that sell coconuts, bananas and other tasty snacks.
A guide to broken beach and Kelingking beach
I actually visited Kelingking secret point beach then made my way to the broken beach on Nusa Penida in the same day. From my accommodation on Nusa Penida it was easier to visit Kelingking beach first for a few hours, which was good before the weather got to hot. We started this day early to make sure we could fit everything in.
We wanted to visit Kelingking beach, Angels Billanong and the broken beach in one day. And we wanted to be back on the road to our hostel before it got to dark on Nusa Penida. The roads are terrible in places so I would place your trip in advance to avoid driving in the dark in bad places.
This was the first time to this amazing beach on Nusa Penida. We spent a little time on the Kelingking beach high cliff to get some of these cool photos. Make sure you becareful up here, the Kelingking beach height to the top is high.
After grabbing some photos we made our way down the Kelingking beach hike. This is the most difficult hike you will do on Nusa Penida!
At the bottom we just spent a few hours ‘chilling’ on the beach and enjoying the stunning Nusa Penida coast line
Check out Atuh beach on Nusa Penida
Then after visiting Kelingking secret point beach we made our way to the broken beach. This was a crazy scooter ride and one I won’t forget anytime soon! The roads got crazy and the road near the Broken beach is so dusty.
When we arrived at the beach near Angel’s Billabong, we dumped the scooter at the parking area. Grabbed a snack from one of the local stalls and then headed to the Broken beach.
Check out the Peguyangan waterfall
We spent an hour hiking around the beach and checking out the amazing scenery. The coastal line on Nusa Penida is amazing! We spent another hour here sunbathing and relaxing. The area is massive on broken beach so there is plenty of spots for families and visitors to relax.
Other places to visit on Nusa penida
Best hotels on Nusa Penida?
There are many hotels on Nusa Penida, but these are some of the many places. Accommodation on Nusa Penida is a backpacker’s dream.
There is hostels on Nusa Penida have some of the mast amazing views you will find in Bali. There’s not a better feeling than waking up in paradise next to a beach and palm trees.
- Rumah Treehouse – This is one one of the most popular places to stay on Nusa Penida. The Ruma treehouse is amazing and you should try and stay here for at least one night.
- Nusa Garden Bungalow – If you are looking for a cheap place to stay on Nusa Penida then this is. It is in a great location for everything you need whilst staying on the island. Also, there is good WiFi available for guests. WiFi is not great at a lot of you may stay at Nusa Penida.
- Apit Lawang – For budget travelers, Apit Lawang dorms offer one of the best deals in Nusa Penida: the air-conditioned room is not only clean and spacious, but has a suitable box-spring bed (no bunk beds) and uses the shared pool with more expensive bungalows, and finally, they are two minutes’ walk from the sea.
- Krisna Guest House Nusa Penida – This amazing guesthouse on Nusa Penida is a great place to stay for staying just a few nights on the island. There is fast WiFi., which is unusual for hotels on Nusa Penida and there is also great TV available. There is large shower rooms available in all rooms and comfortable beds to sleep in. Breakfast is also provided in the morning and its real tasty. This hotel also offers a small pool to use for guests and there is an in-house restaurant for a good price. Overall this is satisfying accommodation on Nusa Penida.
- Saka Boutique – This is a popular and fairly price hotel on Nusa Penida for your visit.
- Bintang Bungalows Nusa Penida – Yoy will have a great time in this hotel. It is in a great location, close to the main attractions on Nusa Penida. The staff are very keen to help you booking activities or renting scooters and give advice on where to go and what to do on Nusa Penida. The food from the hotel is local and tasty. Also the rooms a very clean and it feels warm to stay in them. This is definitely one of the best places to stay on Nusa Penida.
- Semabu Hills Hotel Nusa Penida – If you are looking for a more luxurious place to stay on Nusa Penida then here it is. This is a perfect stay for honeymoon holidays in Bali that are looking to visit Nusa Penida. You can book a one or two day tour to Nusa Penida and stay at this amazing hotel. There is a huge and glamorous infinity pool with a stunning view for you to enjoy. There is huge family rooms for those on a family holiday and this comes at a very affordable price. At this top hotel on Nusa Penida breakfast is also included and is very tasty. Also, you will discover the staff are very friendly. This hotel is a great place to stay.
Angles Billabong and Kelingking beach tour
Whilst visiting the beach you might aswell check out the Angells billabong and then Kelingking Beach.
These are easily some of the best places to visit on Nusa Penida and Kelinking beach is still my favourite beach in Bali and Asia.
Okay let’s have a look at these places on Nusa Penida for you to visit;
- Angel’s billabong – This is the coolest rock pool on Nusa Penjda and is definitely one of the most touristy spots on the island. People flock here from all over the island checking out the amazing rock formation near the broken beach.
- However checking out the Angles billabong can be very dangerous! There has even been deaths on Angles billabong. This is due to the crazy waves that come onto the billabong on the seas high tide.
- You should only get into the billabong on low tide. Even then you can see water splashing over. When we visited there was a lifeguard on duty, but he’s not there all the time.
- This is a mega-cool place to chill out in and grab some epic Instagram photos or YouTube videos, but just enter with caution. It can get very busy here, so I would recommend getting here in the morning before all the tourists turn up and ruin a good photo opportunity 😉
- Kelingking secret point beach – This is still my favourite place to visit on Nusa Penida. Kelingking T-Rex beach is absolutely amazing. They call it the T-Rex beach due to the stunning rock formation around the beach.
- Getting on to this beach though is no easy task. You will have to endure what is called the famous Kelingking Beach hike. You will have to climb the full Kelingking Beach height from top to bottom in the hot Bali weather.
- But once you make the climb it’s absolutely amazing. You should be aware that there has been a Kelingking Beach death from falling off the cliff. Be very careful when at the top and climbing down to the Kelinking beach.
- You could also check out the epic viewpoints aswell. These all amazing places for you to see whilst visiting Nusa Penida. Also you can visit broken beach, Angel’s billabong and Kelinkging beach in the same day. Angel’s Billabong and the broken beach are next to each other. Kelingking beach is not to far from the beach, it’s in scooter ride distance.
The broken beach Nusa Penida summary
Whether it’s the one day tour to Nusa Penida or a few nights stay on this epic island in Bali. You should 100% take the time to visit broken beach and Kelingking Beach. You can easily spend a few hours at this amazing spot on Nusa Penida.
Doing the speed boat tour from Bali is an amazing way to see some of the best things you will see in Bali. And it’s at a great price too.
Check out Kelingking secret point beach