How to get the Cebu to Bohol ferry?
If you want to visit the beautiful island of Bohol, then you will more than likely be wanting to get the Cebu to Bohol ferry – as I did! So, in this guide, I’m going to share with you everything you need to know about getting the boat, bus, and flight to Bohol from Cebu!
If you’re backpacking, you may be wondering if it’s worth visiting Bohol. Well, let me tell you it is – believe me! The journey to Bohol is not really long, and it’s worth it to see all the best things to do on Bohol Island.
Let’s get started on this travel guide for you!
Okay, let’s have a look at what’s in this post for you;
- How long the ferry takes
- Ferry price
- Where to buy ferry tickets
- Ferry schedule
- Getting the bus
- Catching the plane
- Top tips for catching the ferry
- Where to stay
- Final thoughts
How long does the ferry take?
The ferry only takes 2 – 4 hours depending on the weather. However, it’s generally a 2.5-hour journey, and the time flies! You just need to take with you some music, a book, or just getting chatting to other travellers – to share travel stories! This is a great way to meet other backpackers. I love finding out the plans of others that are backpacking the Philippines!
Click here: to check ferry price and book.
What is the ferry fare?
The ferry to Bohol fare is different depending on the ferry company. However, the price of the ferry ticket will range from PHP 300 – PHP 1500. Also, there are different ticket options;
- Tourist Class
- Business Class
The cheapest ferry ticket is the open-air – this is the one I chose. Another thing, when on-board you can buy snacks and drinks – and a good coffee. So, take some change on the ferry with you.
Click here: to check ferry price and book.
How to Buy Ferry Tickets from Cebu to Bohol?
You can buy your tickets online and the website will show you everything you need to know, such as the available travel times and ferries leaving for Bohol. As well, you can also purchase your tickets directly at the Cebu port terminal. However, if you want the best ferry seats, you will need to book early!
The Cebu to Bohol ferry schedule
The ferry schedule from Cebu to Tagbilaran runs at various hours throughout the day. Also, different ferry companies operate at different times.
You can see the typical schedule on the table below;
Whichever company you choose, just remember to check the online ferry schedule to see what time your ferry leaves the port – and arrive at least 30 minutes before!
Getting the bus to Bohol
If you like to keep your travelling raw and cheap, you can choose to get the bus to Bohol from Cebu. This will be your cheapest method of transportation, all you need to do is purchase a bus and ferry dual ticket. If you do choose to get a coach to Bohol (via ferry), this is the longest way of travelling. This journey will take you roughly 5 hours, but of course, you’ll get to see plenty of great scenery along the way!
You can get a ticket for PHP 300, which is cheap!
Ceres is a popular travel agent that provides the land and ferry to Bohol from Cebu. But there are a few other travel providers that offer this duo ticket.
To get this you just need to make your way to Cebu South Bus Terminal (get there for the early trip 10 am).
If you get travel sick, don’t worry, the buses are air-conditioned! Just remember to take your electronics charged up, water, and snacks for the journey!
Click here: to book bus to Bohol.
Getting the plane to Bohol
The Cebu to Bohol plane is one of the easier ways to travel. Not many travellers think it’s possible, but you can catch a flight from Cebu’s Mactan-Cebu International Airport to Bohol-Panglao International Airport in Bohol.
Catching a flight to Bohol from Cebu is one of the most expensive options, so if you’re travelling on a budget I wouldn’t recommend this option.
So how long does it take to get from Cebu to Bohol by plane? The flight only takes 30 – 50 minutes, this is why it’s a popular option for those that are on a holiday to the Philippines.
Once you arrive at Panglao International Airport, you can jump in a local taxi and head to head to your hotel in Tagbilaran or in Panglao Island.
Top tip – Make sure to barter on the price of your taxi. This is a common thing in Asia, which is why the taxis tend to start their prices at a higher rate! Also, you can ask your hotel if they’ll arrange transport – I’ve done this before 🙂
Click here: to get plane price and book.
7 top tips for getting the ferry;
Here is a list of tips for catching the ferry to Bohol;
- Take snacks and water on board – you could even take some beers!
- Take a good book.
- Do you like your music? Make sure your device is charged.
- Work on creating a travel blog on your laptop 🙂
- Have jumper it may get a little cool outside!
- Get your ticket early to get a good seat.
- Get chatting to other backpackers to pass time.
Where to stay in Bohol?
Here is a list of Bohol accommodation to choose from;
- The Three little birds has a great restaurant, lush outdoor swimming pool, a bar and garden in Anda. There is a terrace and guests can make use of free WiFi and free private parking.
- The Panglao Sea Resort is just 1.2 miles from Momo Beach, PANGLAO SEA RESORT – TANGNAN offers accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, a bar and a garden. Boasting family rooms, this property also provides guests with a terrace. The hotel features an outdoor swimming pool and room service and free WiFi.
- The Ecostay Panglao hotel Situated in Panglao, 750 yards from Dumaluan Beach, Ecostay Panglao Resort Hotel features accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, an outdoor swimming pool and a bar. Boasting room service, this property also provides guests with a terrace. The accommodation offers a 24-hour front desk, airport transfers, a shared kitchen and free WiFi throughout the property.
Check out this handy YouTube video:
There we have it, a full guide on how to get the Cebu to Bohol ferryl; including the plane and bus. Whichever route you take will depend on your budget and timeframe.
If you’re backpacking around the Philippines, then you should definitely take the ferry to Bohol!
Hope you’ve enjoyed this guide.
Make sure you check out my Philippines itinerary post.