A complete guide to Peguyangan Waterfall
Table of Contents
Nusa Penida’s best waterall – Peguyangan WaterFall is one of the coolest things to do on Nusa Penida. This top waterfall on Nusa Penida is one of the most visited spots on the island. It is known as the Guyangan falls or the Peguyangan temple. Locals come here to get blessed and you can join in on the spirital blessing at the bottom of the Penguyangan waterfall steps.
The amazing Nusa island is located close to inland Bali, Nusa Penida is the largest of the three epic islands in Bali. The island is surrounded by two other islands, Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan. The location of these islands make it accessible for tourists to visit them from Sanur to the islands and soak in the view of the amazing landscape there. You should also check out the Rumah Treehouse on Nusa Penida.
Reaching the island is not a difficult task than it is assumed to be. From Sanur in East Bali, a ferry leaves for the island multiple times a day to Nusa Lembongan. Other ways of reaching the island include a speed boat ride or a road trip. If you choose the later, make sure to have a guide with you because there is a high probability of you getting lost without local help. If you enjoy seaside temples in Bali, you will love the Pura Tanah Lot and the Uluwatu Temple.
The Peguyangan Waterfall in Nusa Penida although is not as well-known as other places on the island, it’s surely a pleasant surprise for all the tourists visiting the waterfall. An ocean blue staircase carved between a cliff leads you towards the waterfall and the sacred temple. The staircase has 700 stairs in each way. You may expect a foot ache afterwards, however, the view on the way is unexpectedly beautiful.
How to get to the Peguyangan WaterFall Nusa Penida temple
Travelling on a bike around Nusa Pendia can be tricky, you should be riding slow and steady. To get to the Peguyangan waterfall, you can easily hire a scooter which costs around 70,000Rp (US$5). The price is inclusive of petrol and refills of petrol. Upon arrival you have pay for the parking which is 5000Rp (less than a $). From here onwards the journey is a difficult one
To get to the waterfall you have climb down 700+ stairs equivalent to 200m in length. Don’t forget to buy a sarong before doing that because located downstairs is not just a waterfall but also a temple. The temple requires everyone visiting to wear a sarong. The sarong both looks cool and costs just 10,000Rp (US$0.71).
The Peguyangan WaterFall Steps and Temple
Once you reach the spot after the Peguyanagan hike of 15-20 minutes, you can do several interesting things. Here’s a list of the things you can do at the Peguyangan WaterFall.
Visit the Temple the Peguyangan waterfall
When you finally get down the steep cliff you will immediately come across the cool temple. The temple is a place of worship where you would see several locals, and if you want you can seek blessings here. Apart from blessings, you can also delve into the Balinese culture and traditions by talking to the people there. You will find the main area of the temple crowded with various locals who are there to take part in a large ceremony that takes place there.
You might feel that the journey is like a day at the gym. However, you would be amazed at the view from these stairs. The deep blue waters look like they’re going to meet the skies at one point. The brown terrain and the lush green plants spouting out from the cliffs makes you forget the burning ache in your foot. To put it in simpler words; It’s cardio with a view. Your gym life would never be the same after this.
Bathe in the Water Peguyangan Blessing Sites
Since the Balinese believe that water has several spiritual qualities, they claim it to be sacred. So, you will find several locals bathing in the natural pools there to cleanse themselves off all their worldly sins. You too can take a dip in the pools to get cleansed. Most of the priests encourage people to go down in the water completely with their heads. It’s a cool experience.
You will have to hike down the Peguyangan falls steps to the bottom to join in the local Balinese Nusa Penida blessing.
Check out the Tembeling beach and forest
Natural Spa with the view of the Ocean surrounding Nusa Penida
Peguyangan WaterFall is very different than other waterfalls all around the world. Nowhere in the world is there a water vertical torrent resembling a white tower, except the Peguyangan WaterFall. Here you would find the combination of salt water as well as fresh water at the same time. And, as the water falls into the pool quickly, you would feel like you’re getting a massage. Not only this, you can also enjoy the experience of a natural infinity pool. Not to forget, you get all this with the breathtaking view of an ocean from a cliff.
Stop by at the Warung
Once you have completely absorbed the beauty and view of the Peguyangan WaterFall and decide to head back to your ride, you should stop at the warung first. Located at the top of the Peguyangan WaterFall staircase, the warung has foods and drinks, that aren’t even that cheap. An energy refill is a must after burning that many carbs!
Hiking the Peguyangan waterfall
Hiking is something that you have to do when you come to the Nusa Islands. It is included in the package. Several people call the hike to the Pegunyangan WaterFall one of the most dangerous hikes tourists can take. However, if you want to feel the adrenaline rush in your veins and make your trip adventurous, you ought to make this hike happen. Moreover, the beautiful view of the waves crashing on shore and the cliffs standing in all their glory is a sight that would surely be etched in your memories forever.
Tembeling Natural pool and forest
If you want to see one of the best things to do Nusa Penida. You need to see the Tembeling Beach and Tembeling Forest. Tembeling beach offers some of the most amazing photo opportunities that you will get on Nusa Penida.
How to get to the Tembeling waterfall and forest?
To get to Tembeling Forest & Beach you will have to make your way over to the west coast of Nusa Penida Island
From the main harbour of Toya Pakeh, it is approximately a 45-minute drive to Tembeling Beach. The best way to get around Nusa Penida is with the scooter rental and this is the best way to get to the Tembeling waterfall on Nusa Penida.
Other Things to do in Nusa Penida
Apart from visiting the Pegunyangan WaterFall, there are several other things Nusa Penida offers to the tourists visiting the island. The island is the mecca of exciting and adventurous locations that would surely make you want to return back here every summers.
- One of such places are the viewpoints at the Banah Cliffs. The eastward facing cliffs would give you a spectacular view of the arched rock island in the sea. The place is also perfect to watch a sunset.
- Another destination famous for the adventure it sports is the Tembiling Beach, Tembiling Natural Forest and the Tembiling WaterFalls. The play is a hideaway and getting there requires a crazy motorcycle ride which would sure give you a much needed adrenaline rush. Upon reaching the Tembiling WaterFall, you would find natural water pools where you can swim and relax in.
- You should check out the amazing Kelingking beach. This is my most favourite beaches in Southeast Asia. You should also visit the Rumah treehouse and Atuh beach which is amazing
- Furthermore, Nusa Penida has some of the oldest Hindu Temples, which are a gateway to history. Pura Goa Gitri Putri Cave is one of those places. Located on a cliff, the temple is a famous tourist spot. You can sit through the traditional prayer there and feel a wave of tranquility flow into your body slowly. The eeriness of the place would surely enable you to reconnect with your spiritual self. Apart from that, if you’re the kind of tourist who loves learning about new cultures, then Nusa Pedina has that in abundance for you.
- If you have a thing for water sports, then Manta Bay is the right spot for you. The water is not only perfect for a swim but also for snorkeling because of Manta Rays that are found here. You can swim with the rays and feel intimidated by their majesty. Cherry on the cake, these swims just cost USD $20 that too for half an hour.
- Broken beach Nusa Penida is another favourite top places to visit on Nusa Penida. This area is amazing and you will certainly get some sweet Instagram photos here.
- These places are just a few that you can visit to when in Nusa Pedina. The island is home to various exotic points and tranquil oceans. Unlike places in the mainland Bali, the island is relatively under developed. However, it houses some of the most breathtaking and photogenic spots in the world. If you’re visiting Bali anytime soon the island should definitely be on your list of places to visit!