How to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui by plane, boat and bus
How to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui? Are you looking to board the Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train or the picturesque boat ride from Bangkok to Koh Samui? I’m going to tell you everything you need to know regarding how to get to Koh Samui from Bangkok, using the night overnight train. Koh Samui is one of the most awesome islands to visit in Thailand and you’re in for an amazing treat once you arrive there.
This is also everything you for information on how to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui by flight. And how to book the Bangkok to Kok Samui first-class train. You will also discover how to purchase the Bangkok to Koh Samui ferry ticket and the price.
The Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train cost
What is the best way to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui?
You may want to get the bus or train as a cheaper option compared to a flight. However, the flight might be an option for you if you’re on a short holiday and are a little strapped for time. In this case, a Koh Samui from Bangkok flight will be a good idea. I will discuss the Bangkok flights soon.
Still, want to know more about the sweet Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train? Let’s get into all the details you need.
The whole Bangkok to Koh Samui train journey costs 1400 Baht ($42). I bought the tickets online from 12Go Asia, these are the cheapest overnight train tickets from Bangkok to Koh Samui that you will find.
You will receive an email confirmation and on the day of your train ride, you will have to pick your tickets up from the goAsia office facing Hua amonglamphong train station.
Train from Bangkok to Koh Samui Tips
- Your night Train leaving from Bangkok’s Hualamphong train station to Surat Thani train station.
- From Surat Thani train station you will get a (45-minute coach) ride to Don Sak ferry terminal.
- What they don’t tell you when buying your Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train ticket, is that you will be waiting at the Surat Thani train station for 3 hours! But there is a cafe with WiFi that sells decent food. We had a coffee and breakfast there.
- You will then get a (2-hour boat ride) from Don Sak ferry pier terminal to Koh Samui. I’ve seen information on the Koh Samui boat ride saying it took 45 minutes. But, I can’t see how anyone got there that quick on a large ferry.
- If you want some luxury you can also catch the Bangkok to Koh Samui first-class train
So for just $42 you do get a lot included in the Bangkok to Koh Samui journey – train/bus/boat.
Need to extend a Thailand visa? See Thailand 30 day visa extension
Have you got your travel documents ready? For all the travel documents you need to see
Things to know about the Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train?
Before we boarded the train I wanted to know if the food was included and I made sure I found this out.
Also, there are a few other things they don’t tell you about when buying tickets for the overnight train.
What’s not included on the overnight train from Bangkok to Koh Samui?
- The evening meal is not included.
- Snacks are not included.
- Water and other drinks are not included.
- Unfortunately, there is no power supply for charging your electrical stuff (nightmare).
- There is no WiFi on board, I’d recommend buying a data passport for the day.
- There is nowhere to store your backpack or case on the overnight train. I had my backpack on the bed with me.
Bangkok to Koh Samui by plane
What is included on the overnight train from Bangkok to Koh Samui?
- Pillows and sheets are included.
- At every station stop, a Thai local will nip on the train selling food and snacks. I paid for some fruit for 40 Baht.
- At your stop one of the members of the crew will wake you up, a blessing in disguise this one.
- A curtain on your bedside.
- Sinks to brush your teeth and have a wash.
If you love food you should check out the Koh Samui Sunday night market
How long does the Bangkok to Koh Samui train take?
The train from Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong train station leaves at (5 pm). You will reach Surat Thani train station at (5 am) the following morning.
The coach leaves Surat Thani train Station at (8 am) and you arrive at Don Sak ferry station at 8:45 am.
Once you arrive in Koh Samui, you should check out the best beaches on Koh Samui
The boat from Don Sak Ferry station to Koh Samui leaves at about 9:15 am and reaches Koh Samui around 11:15 am.
Give or take a little time, you whole getting from Bangkok to Koh Samui journey will take between 18-20 hours. Seems a long time but it does go quick.
How to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui by bus?
- If you want to take the bus from Bangkok to Koh Samui, you can get a bus from Bangkok to Surat Thani. From here you will take the boat from Surat Thani to Koh Samui.
- This is a good option if you’re worried about getting the overnight sleeper train from Bangkok to Koh Samui. Because sometimes the places do fill up.
- How long is the bus ride from Bangkok to Koh Samui?
- You will be stuck on the bus for at least 10 hours. Make sure your iPod and laptop are charged. If you don’t like long journeys then this should be fine for you.
- Personally, this sort of time on a bus is a killer for me. I have done my fair share of long bus journeys in Thailand, so I know how you feel if you have to take the bus.
- Remember you will most likely have another 3-hour journey on the boat ride for Surat Thani to Koh Samui. This is a nice ride though.
- Which buses to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui?
- You can get a bus from Sai Tai Mai terminal. Make sure you pick the air-conditioned buses! These leave between 5 am and 8 am.
- You can also get a private bus from Khao San Road. There is an agency that you can get a sweet double up ticket of bus/ferry.
How to book Bangkok to Koh Samui transport?
If you want a good company to travel with to Koh Samui from Bangkok then I would recommend 12goAsia
They will ensure you have an amazing safe trip on your time travelling around Thailand.
On the Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train 1st class, you will be given your cabin. But I’m my own opinion, I think the Bangkok to Koh Samui 2nd sleeper cabin is fine.
They could probably help us out by adding charger sockets, but just make sure all your stuff is charged beforehand.
- How to get from the Koh Samui port to your accommodation on Koh Samui?
- Back at the cafe at Surat Thani train station, I got offered to pay 150 Baht per person for a minivan ride from the Koh Samui port to my accommodation on Koh Samui.
- I paid this because it is a fair price, my hotel on Koh Samui was on the opposite side of the island to the pier.
- There is an option to buy tickets on arrival, however, these may cost you a little more. So it’s probably worth taking up the offer at the cafe.
- How to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui by Bus?
- Some buses will take your from Bangkok to Don Sak ferry station and from here you can take the ferry to Koh Samui.
- The bus ride from Bangkok to the Don Sak ferry station will take 12 hours+.
- Personally, this would be my very last option. Long bus rides are just gruelling.
- How to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui by flight?
- As I mentioned earlier the flight from Bangkok Koh Samui takes between 1 and 2 hours and will cost you around $117.
- There are plenty of flights to Koh Samui from Bangkok
If you’re on a short vacation and want to see more of Thailand, it’s worth getting a flight to Koh Samui to Bangkok.
For everyone else including backpackers, I would recommend getting the Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train. It’s a cool journey.
If you’re backpacking in Thailand, you may need to how to get from Krabi or Ao Nang to Koh Lanta on your travels!
Hotels on Koh Samui
There are loads of places to stay in Koh Samui and you will easily find one near the Sunday night market in Lamai. I stayed at Rich Resort which is a 5-minute walk from the night market. This is also one of the best hotels in Koh Samui, its located on the beach and you can get a private room here for $11 a night. This accommodation is perfect for backpackers and those looking for a budget room in Koh Samui that is near the beach.
There is plenty of hotels on Koh Samui that is suited for everyone’s type of holiday to one of Thailand’s best islands. There are hotels on Koh Samui with all-inclusive, with pools, spas, gyms and more. Also, you can find hotels near Koh Samui’s fisherman’s village and hotels near Koh Samui’s Chaweng Beach. Let’s look at some of the best hotels on Koh Samui;
So there we go, you know how to get either the plane, bus or train to Koh Samui from Bangkok to Koh Samui 🙂
Once you arrive in Koh Samui, you will love it. It’s one of the best islands in Thailand to visit!
Check Ticket Availability
Also, if you’re planning on going travelling. Make sure you check out the Southeast Asia packing list guide!