What and where is the Tegenungan waterfall Bali
The Tegenungan waterfall Bali is an awesome thing to see in Bali, Indonesia. It is situated in Tegenungan Kemenuh village which is in Gianyar. It is the only waterfall which is not in mountains or highlands. It is 25 meters high and all this is just 10 km outside of Ubud.
This waterfall is most famous among backpackers and swimmers worldwide. This place is the best get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. To understand this epic mini adventure that I am talking about you must visit the Tegenungan waterfall. This is the nature lover’s favourite attraction point. Plus, this waterfall is very close to the rice terraces in Ubud.
The waterfall is surrounded by thriving green forest. The vigorous green scenic view is a real therapy for eyes. If you are planning to go here, here are somethings that you should know about getting there and what to expect;
How to get to Tegenungan Waterfall Bali?
The foremost thing about this waterfall is that it is very easy to get here and it is very close to central Ubud. It is approximately 20 to 30 minutes ride. Also, sometimes the time duration of reaching there can be exceeded depending upon traffic conditions as it is very much visited place. Following are the best and easiest ways to get from Ubud to the Tegenungan waterfall;
If you are not staying in Ubud and you are staying in Canggu, it is 1 to 1.5 hours’ drive from the central Canggu. But as soon as you hit the Kuta or Seminyak, it is very easy to follow the direction towards the waterfall, as there are many signboards.
As soon as you arrive at the entrance, the fee is 15,000 IDR per person. The parking of the motorbike or scooter is free but the car parking fee is 5,000 IDR. You can also rent lockers to keep your stuff safe for 10,000 IDR and there are toilets that you can use by paying 3,000 IDR. It opens from 6:30 am to 6 pm.
What to expect at one of the best waterfalls in Bali
As soon as you pay the fee you get a stamped ticket. As you enter, you will see a variety of stall of clothes, souvenirs and snacks sellers. Right after crossing them you will see a big sign that says, ‘Welcome to Tegenungan Waterfall’ sign.
As you cross the sign you will see concrete paved steps that are not more than 100 or 120 steps. The steps are really safe, it has a railing on one side. While walking down the steps towards the waterfall, there are many picture-perfect views. Also, you will get to see a small waterfall and a heart-shape made out of woods painted of different colors.
There is a small sign that says, ‘The Color of Love’. It is a really cool place for clicking the dinkiest photos. While walking the last steps you will small towers of rocks made by people near the stream.
And as the steps end you will see the Tegenungan Waterfall. A path is made followed by some rocks. You will also see a swing made with steel; this swing is called The Bali Swing. You will witness a bridge made of bamboos.
If you are lucking enough and the sun also shines upon the waterfall you will see rainbows right on the surface of the water. There is second height where you can get to it and watch people taking photos and you see the waterfall going down while standing right next to it.
If you want to take a break from swimming you lay on the huge stones which are very smooth, as you look up, you will see hanging roots from the mountains. As you are done swimming, you can use the changing room and while you exit don’t forget to take your corn which served by two women.
Things to know about visiting the Tegenungan Waterfall in Ubud
Here are some useful tips for the visit to the Tegenungan waterfall;
- People usually ask, if it is safe to swim in the waterfall, it is safe when it is sunny but do not swim if it is too much windy or raining.
- Do not jump off any cliff, as the water is not shallow.
- If you hire a taxi make sure to note the driver’s ID and note the number plate and color of the car.
- If you have rented a motorbike or a scooter, make sure to remember where you parked it, as there are too many of them and note the number plate.
- While providing visa copy or id copy to the rental company, make sure to write something on the copy so that they cannot use it anywhere else.
- Remember to count your things before putting them in the safe and always count again when you take back your things and make sure they are not broker.
- Bali is tropical and it is hot, use sunscreen.
- If you are not a good swimmer take a life jacket with you.
- Always leave early in the morning, to face less crowd and more serene view.
- The closing time is 6 pm but it is recommended that you leave by 4 pm so that you don’t have to rush for the exit.
- Wear flip flops.
- Take extra pair of clothes with you.
- The raining season is from October to April to try to visit here in the other months.
- If you are travelling by a motorbike or a scooter make sure you have a GPS, although there are many signboards, but precaution is always best.
- Keep a waterproof mobile case with you.
- Hotels near Tegenungan Waterfall
You should check out the Bali swing if you like amazing Instagram locations in Bali.
recommended hotels that are near to the waterfall
Here are some hotels to stay at near the Tegenungan waterfall.
- This is a great cheap place to stay in Ubud. It’s a budget homestay that offers amazing service, clean rooms and free tea/coffee. There is a good view of this homestay and you can even get a view of the flowing river that runs by it. You will be treated very well at this budget accommodation in Ubud and this is definitely a top place for backpackers to stay.
BOOK ROOM: Undis Homestay
- If you are looking for a more luxurious place to stay in Ubud, then this is definitely it. This is a classic Balinese hotel that is in perfect walking distance to most of the main attractions in Ubud, as it’s located in a great spot between the monkey forest and the town centre. The rooms at this top hotel in Ubud are large and very clean. You will receive a great Buffett breakfast and plenty of tasty fruit to set you up for a great day out in Ubud.
BOOK ROOM: Ubud village hotel
- The Maya Ubud is a sweet luxury resort located in the central of Bali, between the river valley and rice terraces of Ubud. The rooms and villas here are amazing and you will get some quality comfort. An ideal choice for those looking for luxurious facilities, peace and tranquility in beautiful surroundings. If you are on a luxury break or a honeymoon holiday, then his luxury hotel in Ubud is for you.
BOOK ROOM: Maya Ubud Resort and Spa
Check out the Tirta Empul Water Temple in Bali