A guide to the Ubud Bali Art Market
The Ubud Bali art market is referred to by locals as ‘Pasar Seni Ubud‘ is a must visit when you’re in Bali, it is a quirky tourist/arty/handicraft market with extravagant colours, spices and mazes of stalls. You will find all sorts of gifts/household items/general items on the cool stalls, there is always going to be the items no one will ever buy but then there are the absolute diamonds in the dirt of a find. There is plenty of places for shopping in Bali, but this is by far one of the best. Also, if you’re looking for an epic food market in Ubud, you should come to this market! You can get some mega tasty food.
This market in Ubud is also close to other popular things such as the Monkey forest, Campuhan ridge walk and Ubud town centre. So you can visit here whilst visiting one of the other popular tourist attractions in Bali. If you’re looking for the Best things to do in Ubud, then you need to head to this awesome market.
Where is the Ubud Art Market?
Ubud Bali Market is on the main busy road of Raya Ubud, but the best stalls are not the easiest to see from the outside. However, the streets will be crazy busy with locals and tourists exploring the goods of the market.
The market is near the Bali monkey forest and we visited both top tourist attractions in Ubud on the same day. And, we walked to them both from the centre of Ubud town centre.
The Ubud art market is also in a prime location to visit other local shops, restaurants and cafes.
The actual address of the market: Ubud, Kecamatan Gianyar, Ubud, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571
What to buy on the Ubud Bali Art Market
There is plenty of awesome stuff to buy on the market. That’s why it is one of the best places for shopping in Ubud. This is also one of the best art markets in Indonesia!
- Stuff for the house – There is everything for the house such as lamp shades, quirky room lifters, bright coloured curtains and random gifts.
- Clothing – There is everything a girl backpacking around Southeast Asia would love from loose fitted elephant patterned pants to relaxed bright coloured vests. There is also cool vests for lads for amazing value.
- Food is awesome on this market – There are lots of different foods like unique spices, meats and general snacks. I like green tea and they even sold that. Also, if you’re looking for cheap places to eat in Ubud, then you need to visit here. You can pick up cheap hot food being cooked, but this is local food and cooked on the stalls! But still epic food. There is also plenty of restaurants near you if you fancy sitting down in a proper restaurant 🙂
- Jewellery – There is unique, crazy, cool and funky items from rings to necklaces. You could either look like someone out of the pirates of the Caribbean or a model off the catwalk with some of these epic items. The jewellery is fairly cheap and you can buy a necklace for $2.
When to visit the Ubud Bali Art Market?
Go in the morning, miss the crowds, grab the bargains and buy the best stuff on offer at a lower price.
So, the best time to get there is around 9am!
What you need to know about the Ubud Bali Art Market
- You need to barter, my favourite word. The stall owners will always start the price higher s they DO expect you to haggle on the price. I always push for at least 40% lower than the asking price, anything less I will walk away. Then, they usually shout you back.
- It gets very crowded so make your way there early as possible.
- If you don’t like being hassled then I would give this one a miss as the stall owners will keep on at you to buy something.
Visit the Ubud night market
Why not visit the night market in Ubud and dine with the locals. This is a great way to learn more about the culture and get away from all the tourists. I say this because it’s mainly the locals that visit here!
If you’re a backpacker on a budget trip in Bali, then this is where you need to be heading to get a cheap meal. So, you can buy a meal on this epic night market in Ubud for around $1 (the food is actually nice).
Where is the Ubud night market? Check out the map below for the exact location;
Other things to see in Ubud
- Tegallalang rice terraces Ubud
- Pura Tirta Empul
- Jungle Fish Ubud
- Bali swing in Ubud
- Elephant cave Bali