A Guide To Snorkelling Shark Bay Koh Tao
It definitely is a unique life experience to swim with the sharks, and there is an exquisite place in Thailand where you can do this. Live your dream in one of the best snorkelling spots in Thailand – Shark Bay Koh Tao!
You can actually see numerous blacktip reef sharks crisscrossing the bay 6 to 12 feet from the sea bed. Some of these sharks are about 6 feet long, and you can witness them right before your fascinated eyes as you snorkel around.
Awesome Koh Tao Experience!
How To Get To Shark Bay Snorkeling Area?
There are 2 ways in which you can arrive at the Shark Bay snorkelling spot. Under your particular steam, on foot or by riding a scooter, you can go to the location. From this point, you can then go to the shore and proceed to the water.
Your start at Sai Ree or Mae Haad, and then go south towards Chalok. The signs will guide you, initially to Sai Daeng Beach, followed by Jamakhiri Resort and Spa which are located on the beach. If you prefer, you can also take a taxi going there.
The second option of exploring Shark Bay is to visit it on a guided boat tour. For the most part, tour guides in Koh Tao arrange half-day and whole day excursions, taking guests to various snorkelling Koh Tao spots such as Shark Bay, Mango Bay, Tanote Bay, or Lighthouse Bay.
A tour that includes 2 or 3 stops on different spots costs from a range of 1,000 to 2,000 bahts per person. This would be a better option if you don’t have much time yet want to explore the best spots in the island.
How To Enter The Water In Shark Bay
If you intend to explore the spot on your own, you can enter the Shark Bay water from the beach. Otherwise, you could do so from a boat if you are joining an organized excursion. If you go by the latter option, you have to follow instructions from your guide.
Many blacktip reef sharks come to Shark Bay each day, and snorkelers visit this spot so that they can swim alongside these creatures. If you want a better experience of seeing the sharks, go to the area between 7am to 10am.
You’ll see blacktip reef sharks in a variety of sizes, such as those measuring almost 6 feet. There are smaller specimens as well that venture near the beach where the waters are shallow.
You basically have to swim at sea to the central and northern areas of the bay when you enter the waters from the beach. From 3 to 6 feet deep, you are likely to encounter a shark’s silhouette. Then again, if you are on a boat (with a tour guide), you’ll be taken to a deeper part of 10 to 12 feet, or 3 to 4 meters further into the ocean. You’ll come across bigger and more impressive specimens here. No worries about shark incidents in the bay, too, mainly because these creatures simply and quietly come and go above the sea bed.
But all over the area, you’ll see a badly damaged sea bed, and throughout, you’ll find a grey blanket of dead coral pieces. Some sea anemones thrive, nonetheless, and they become habitats of pink skunk clownfish. You’ll be amazed of the color it adds to the decor! Likewise, you’re bound to encounter needlefish, triggerfish, butterflyfish, sergeant majors, parrotfish, and fantastic sea turtles if you are lucky.
Each day, a share of tourists explore the area through guided tours which are getting quite popular. Many visitors tend to be clumsy, though, unable to follow the rules of proper snorkeling behavior and in turn result to collisions and straying swimfins. During the months of December and January, small jellyfish come in hordes in the bay. Although harmless, they can sting you repeatedly, causing you to get out of the water a little earlier than you planned.
Are there sharks in Koh Tao?
Whether you are snorkeling or diving here in Koh Tao, it is not a guarantee that you will see a shark. However, there are still Bull Sharks in the area. The most common sightings of the bull sharks are at certain times of the year when they come to mate at Chumphon Pinnacle near Mango Bay and off Lonely beach.
10 Best Hotels Near Shark Bay Koh Tao
wondering where to stay Koh Tao?
- Czone Hostel. This place is for adults only, and part of its amenities are a restaurant and a business center. They also have a ticket/tour assistance service and offer free wifi in public areas. You can self-park in the hostel, and it has a safe in the front desk. There are 14 air-conditioned rooms in the establishment, all containing free wifi, showers and toiletries, and ceiling fans. Housekeeping service is daily. An activity you can do nearby is scuba diving, and you can relish the outdoors in the terrace. You can smoke in designated smoking areas. From this location, you can reach Shark Bay in 0.5 miles.
- Carabao Dive Resort. This hostel is located 0.5 miles from Shark Bay. You’ll have a great time having fun and sun on the beach while staying here. Amenities in the establishment include a bar and lounge, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant. Self-parking is provided and public areas have free wifi. Other than these, there is a beach bar and poolside bar. Dry cleaning service is available and housekeeping services are provided daily. There are 38 rooms in the hostel where toiletries, wifi, tv and room service are free.
- Beach Club By Haad Tien. This property is at walking distance from Shark Bay at 0.2 miles. It is a splendid beach spa retreat where you can sunbathe, or relax with a full-service spa. Meals are absolutely delicious in their 2 restaurants, and it has 62 rooms that contain 2 bedrooms. In these accommodations, there is a fridge, 2 bathrooms, LCD tv with satellite channels and DVD players for entertainment. Each of the rooms have free wifi and a balcony. On-site, there are 2 outdoor swimming pools, and a sauna.
- Ko Tao Resort- Paradise Zone. This 3-star hotel features pools, and its own private beach. It is a 0.2 miles distance from Shark Bay. Amenities for relaxation in this establishment include a private white sand beach and 3 outdoor swimming pools. It has 48 air-conditioned rooms containing safes and free bottles of water. Cable tv comes free with the accommodation, along with a refrigerator and a mini bar. The bathroom includes a shower, a hair dryer, and a bathrobe, and free toiletries. There is housekeeping service daily.
- Ko Tao Resort- Beach Zone. The resort has a quiet location where you can spend all day relaxing at the beach. After playing there, you can go back to dine at either of the 2 restaurants in the resort. There are 49 rooms in the establishment where guests can enjoy free wifi and room service, and watch tv with cable channels. Safes, hair dryers and rainfall showerheads are the other amenities you can use. You can see the natural beauty of the area at Sairee Beach and Shark Bay.
- Chintakiri Resort Koh Tao. This resort is located close to the beach. You can dine scrumptiously in its restaurant and enjoy swimming in their outdoor pool. Spend your time sipping your favorite drink at the bar/lounge and get connected using the free wifi in public areas. There’s free self-parking, too, and you can relish snacking at the deli. If you love reading, you can stay at the library, or enjoy nature’s blossoming beauty in the garden on-site. All the 19 rooms in the resort have complimentary wifi, and open to patios or balconies. Tv’s in these accommodations have satellite channels, and room service, mini bars and fridges are the other amenities that guests can avail of. This resort is located 0.3 miles from Shark Bay.
- OK2 Bungalow Koh Tao. You can view the scenic ocean from the bar/lounge of this hotel which is situated 0.2 miles from the Shark Bay area. Its on-site amenities are convenient, including airport transport and free wifi. In all the 18 rooms, there’s complimentary wifi and bottled water, and they open to balconies. Near this establishment, guests can enjoy activities to get their feet wet, such as scuba diving, snorkeling, and kayaking.
- Haadtien Beach Resort. This establishment is located along the beach in Koh Tao, and its distance from Shark Bay is 0.2 miles. You can explore the nearby spots to do water adventures that include scuba diving. The resort is upscale, with 2 swimming pools outdoors. In either of these pools, you can catch some rays, or you can pamper yourself at the resort’s full-service spa. All of the 71 air-conditioned rooms here can be accessed through exterior corridors, and they feature minibars and DVD players. You can request for in-room massage service and surf the web using free wifi.
- Villa Sabai Jai. This resort is located 0.3 miles from Shark Bay. The entire home can be had all to yourself, and guests in your party can join you if you want to. This resort is rated as a 4-star villa that features an outdoor swimming pool. Wifi and self-parking are free in the establishment, and all of their villas are decorated individually. Minibars and private pools are featured in the air-conditioned accommodations, and their business-friendly amenities include safes and telephones.
- Taa Toh Sea View Resort. This property is located on the beach, and is 0.1 miles near Shark Bay. In it, you’ll find a restaurant and a coffee shop. There’s free wifi and self-parking in the resort, and ticket/tour assistance and dry-cleaning services are available. A garden is on-site for guests to enjoy the blossoming nature, and whatever their needs are are catered to by a multilingual staff. Every room in this resort has free wifi, bottled water, tv with satellite channels, and balconies.
It’s a one-of-a-kind experience to explore the sights and the beauty of the beach and the ocean in Shark Bay Koh Tao. Coupled with first-rate but affordable accommodation, you’ll have a splendid vacation to beat!
How to get to Koh Tao?
If you’re travelling from Bangkok to Koh Tao, you can check out my guide which shows you how to get the train and ferry to this epic island!