Lamai Beach Koh Samui Island, Thailand
You have travelled to one of the best islands in Thailand – Koh Samui, and now obvious you want to see the best beaches on Koh Samui. Well you have come to the right place to read about the awesome Lamai beach Koh Samui, one of the top beaches on the island. Famous for it’s nightlife, restaurants and vibrant atmosphere. This is one of them beaches you just have to visit.
You can visit this beach for a good few hours then continue your visit here into the night and party on down with the nightlife in Lamai. Also, it’s not too far from Chaweng and silver beach which are two other awesome destinations for you to checkout.
Lamai Beach Samui Restaurants
There are lots of places to eat in Lamai and you can get a meal for $2 and these are meals like classic red Thai curries, which are amazing. There is a mix of restaurants available for all your food requirements. We tend to eat are the local cafes and restaurants. But, there is nicer and more posher places to eat.
Here is some of the popular restaurants on Lamai beach;
How to get to Lamai beach?
It’s a pretty easy beach to get to and most people make their way from Chaweng to Lamai. So, here is a list of Lamai beach directions and ways of transport..
- Taxi –There is taxis all over the Koh Samui island and it’s easy to flag one down and hop in. How much does a taxi cost on Koh Samui? This totally depends on where you’re going, but 300 Baht should get you acroos the island. Prices are dependant on your bartering skills, but never offend the taxi drives and offer a sill price! They will drive off.
- Drive – You can hire a scooter or car and drive yourself to the Lamai town centre. Scooter rental on Koh Samui is as cheap as (250) Baht ($4) and you can fill the gas up for cheap. Once you have sorted your ride out, head towards the Tesco lotus in Lamai, then you will be in the town centre. However, if you’re going for the Lamai nightlife, then you don’t want to be driving.
- Songtaews – This is another epic way for you to travel around Koh Samui like a true traveller. These are pickups that drive around the Koh Samui island picking up locals and tourists, then dropping them off on the routes. There is no stops as to say to get on these, you literally just wave your hand to stop them in the street. Although they will probably beep at you anyway to offer you a ride. You can expect to pay around (100) Baht from chaweng to Lamai in a songtaews.
Check out the Lamai beach map below for the exact location:
Lamai beach and nightlife
The beach is a really cool place for you to just throw a towel out and enjoy the good side of life. You will meet all types of visitors and nationalities here. If you’re solo backpacking, this is a great way to meet other travellers and make some temporary or even permanent friends to have a drink with on the day.
If you’re on a family holiday to Thailand’s Koh Samui, Lamia is also a family friendly beach. But, if you’re bringing the children here, I would recommend leaving about 6pm. This is when the backpackers may get a little loud from the alcohol 😀
Love awesome nightlife? Check out the Phi Phi nightlife guide
The Lamai nightlife is a popular attraction for visitors to Koh Samui and if you’re reading this post you will probably want to check out the nightlife on Lamai beach. There nightlife is a street behind the beach that stretches for over 10-kilomtere.
The road is home to the typical Thai tourist shops that contain gifts that you can buy for value price. Also, there is the Lamai beach restaurants which you can buy a meal for less than $2! You can also drink the night away at one of the many bars on the beach.
The Lamai beach nightlife really comes to life when the sun starts to go down. Tourists leave the beach in search of some partying, so if you’re want to have a lively night. You should head here after 6pm!
Looking for other awesome places to visit in Thailand? Check out the amazing jungle elephant sanctuary in Phuket on your travels.
The Koh Samui resorts
There is plenty of hotels and places to stay near Lamai beach, you can get a room for under ($15) a night. Or you can stay in a luxury hotel in Lamai if you want to splash out a little money.
The accommodation on Koh Samui is awesome and you can get an absolute bargain for your money!
Anyway, here is some of the best Lamai resorts;
Things to do on Lamai beach
Here is a list of of things to do at Lamai beach for you;
- Visit the Grandfather and Grandmother rocks. These are one of the most popular tourist points and landmarks on Koh Samui. They’re basically 2 representations of a penis and vagina (stange I know). This isn’t for everybody, but it seems to be one of the best things to do on Koh Samui for tourists.
- Swimming on Lamai beach is another option for you and it’s great in the hot Koh Samui weather.
- Check out the restaurants on Lamai beach for some classic Thai food. Food in Thailand is amazing and you can indulge in some classic Thai meals such as red curry in one of the many sweet cafes and restaurants available.
- Partying at night on Lamai beach. Like I mentioned, the nightlife on Lamai is very popular and if you’re into the partying scene then you should definitely make your way here.
Where to next?
Here is some of my favourite Thailand destinations;