Koh Phangan full moon party guide
You ready for one of the wildest nights of your life? Let’s see if the Koh Phangan full moon party is right for you.
Koh Phangan was our last Island visit to the three epic neighbouring islands, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao and Koh Samui. We decided to meet up with our new mates, who are also from England. Always good to meet a local on your travels.
We met up for pre-drinks, with a few classic drinking card games. I don’t really drink so this has me rocking before we even got to the full moon party! Then, we made our way to the full moon party for a night of wildness, dancing, alcohol and laughter.
Where is the Koh Phangan full moon party?
The full moon beach party is on Thailand’s island of Koh Phangan. Furthermore, the full moon party is held on a beach right down south of Koh Phangan, the name is Haad Rin beach.
How to get to the Koh Phangan full moon party
This depends on where you’re travelling from in Thailand. If you’re backpacking on mainland Thailand and have time on your hands, then I would get a local bus or train to Suratthani pier then get a ferry across. The ferry from Suratthani visits all three islands. The best budget way is the overnight train from Bangkok to Koh Samui and then stay on the ferry to Koh Phangan.
What if I’m on holiday and don’t have much time to get from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?
You can also get a flight from Bangkok/Phuket/Krabi to Koh Samui and then get the ferry from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan. This option will be more expensive, but you will save heaps of time! Checkout how to get from Bangkok to Koh Samui overnight train
How to get to the full moon beach party from your hotel?
Koh Phangan is well prepared for the full moon party and you won’t have to look very far for transportation. There’s signs everywhere offering taxis from your hotel to the beach party. I stayed in the most northern part of the island and my taxi was 150 BHT $5 per person.
Be prepared for more expensive prices though, this was pretty cheap.
Top Tip – find a group that’s going at the same time and hitch a ride, it will bring the cost down. You could even stay with them and party then 🙂
7 things to expect with the Koh Phangan full moon party
- Food – There is plenty of food for sale and you can pick up some cheap street food from stands on the beach. There’s also plenty of restaurants on the beach open all night.
2. Music – The moment we arrived we stepped into a hardcore dance room, let’s start the night off with some energy and rave rave rave. Don’t worry though if dance is not your jam, there’s loads of different music stands for whatever flavour of music you like.
3. People – you will meet people from all walks of life at Thailand’s biggest music festival. I must have spoke to at least 5 different internationals on the night. Also, I tried practising my newly learned Spanish drunk at 4am, to a Spanish local. I think I remember him laughing.
4. Crazy – The famous full moon party in Koh Phangan is one of the craziest and best nights out in Thailand you will ever have. Probably the craziest night you will ever have anyway. But in a good way, you will have so much fun.
5. Dancing – Whether you like dancing or not, you will end up shaking your thing under the fool moon to some electro vibes. This music is good and the atmosphere is even better, so get involved and enjoy the wild Koh Phangan moon party.
6. Random – There is plenty of random things happening at Thailand’s biggest full moon party. For example, I seen an area of fenced off mats named ‘the sleep are’. Yes people actually can have a sleep in this safe zone! I thought I was imaging things and there was plenty of dogs chilling out to the music!
7. Hangover – Be ready for this one! I have never been as ill in my life the next day 🙁 I was in absolute bits. The full moon party is famous for the liquor buckets you can buy. Yes you pay for a bucket that comes with liquor and a mixer. For example, vodka and red bull. After drinking these all night, you can only imagine the pain the next day.
For more epic things to do in Thailand check out 22 best things to do in Koh Tao
When is the best time to visit Koh Phangan for the full moon beach party?
Peak season in Koh Phangan – This is the last 2 weeks in December. This time has the most visitors and you can expect accommodation on Koh Phangan to be jam packed. Also, expect inflated prices!
High season in Koh Phangan – January, February, March, July and August.
Low season in Koh Phangan – May, June and November (monsoon season, rain, rain and more rain).
Peak season in Koh Phangan – This is the last 2 weeks in December.
Koh Phangan full moon party dates
Here is the dates for the Koh Phangan full moon party 2018
- Monday 24th September 2018
- Thursday 25th October 2018
- Thursday 22 November 2018
- Saturday 22 December 2018
Then for 2019 dates for the full moon parties
- Saturday 20th January 2019
- Wednesday 20 February 2019
- Wednesday 20th March 2019
- Friday 19th April 2019
- Sunday 19th May 2019
- Monday 17th of June 2019
- Thursday 18th July 2019
- Thursday 15th August 2019
- Friday 13th September 2019
- Monday 14th October 2019
- Monday 11th November 2019
- Wednesday 11th December 2019
Where to stay on Koh Phangan for Thailand’s full moon party
Expect accommodation to be 95% booked up around the days to the full moon beach party. We managed to get one of the only rooms left on the island and this was right up north of the island.
Rooms in the south next to where the full moon party is, get booked out weeks in advance. As a result, you must decide if you want to stay right next to the beach and book in advance. Also, expect prices for accommodation on Koh Phangan to be a little higher due to the full moon party.
Place to stay on Koh Phangan near the beach party
Where I stayed for the beach party – $15 a night
My room at Haad Salad resort was right in the north, however we only had to pay the 170 BHT $7 for a taxi to the beach party. I would highly recommend my place to stay, they are bungalows on a stunning beach and for a great price. There’s great WiFi, no mosquitoes, free tea/coffee/toast/water and there’s also a swimming pool. The pool was a god send for the hangover! The bungalows are also next to shops and restaurants.
The full moon summary
The full moon beach really is a cool night and here’s a few extra tips take with you;
- Get some beers at the 7/11 shop on the corner it’s cheaper!
- I seen families chilling out on the beach, so don’t just think the beach party is for young backpackers.
- Don’t go in the sea! All the lads use it as a toilet, you don’t want to be blowing bubbles in there.
- There’s plenty of taxis waiting for when you leave.
- Where shoes, there is broken glass on the beach. Save yourself a visit to the hospital.
If this has been helpful please share and subscribe to my journey